Last Updated on September 20, 2022 by Olivia Anderson
The use of glass material in commercial buildings is common nowadays, as it provides a sleek, clean, and modern aesthetic to the facades of the building. Glass is a versatile material and can provide numerous design possibilities. As a construction material glass provides various benefits that make them popular in commercial projects and modern residential buildings. However, certain factors need to be kept in consideration before starting construction.
Here in this article, we will be discussing both benefits and considerations/challenges of using glass material in commercial and residential buildings.
Let Us First Discuss The Benefits of Glass Materials.
- Aesthetics: Glass can absorb, reflect or transmit light. Using glass material in building facades and interiors enhances the look of the building, making interiors look large and more open. Glass material, when used in a building can make it look more stunning and modern.
- Physical Properties: It is an excellent electrical insulator and is resistant to abrasion. Glasses can be drawn into any shape and size as it is versatile and malleable, and hence can be used in multiple applications. Another property of glass is it is resistant to high temperatures. Due to this, it can be used in high-temperature areas such as a fireplace or as cooking tops where low material expansion is required.
- Impact on Occupants: With glass, we can get abundant natural lightning, which gives a positive psychological effect on inhabitants. This helps improve the work efficiency and performance of the employees.
- Weather Resistance: Glass is resistant to weather and rust. The smooth texture of the glass surface makes it dustproof, and hence maintenance automatically becomes considerably easier.
- Energy Efficiency: Glass is one of the most sustainable and energy-efficient materials. It is recyclable and can be reused many times without losing its quality. It is lightweight too and thus reduces a dead load of a building
- Cost Efficiency: Since glass allows natural lighting, the use of artificial lighting reduces during the day. This saves energy and drastically lowers your utility bills. Therefore, using glass material in commercial buildings is cost-effective.
Let Us Throw Some Light on The Challenges We Face When Using Glass in Commercial/Industrial Buildings.
- Heat Transfer: Natural light that enters from outside may create solar heat gain and higher cooling expenses during summer. However, this situation can easily be controlled through energy-efficient arrangement/ design of windows and doors in a building.
- Glare: Glare is another issue that occurs due to the glass surface. To overcome this challenge, glass spraying using a special coating or technique can be done. Window arrangement can also be optimized so the sun is not directly visible.
When is The Time for Onsite Glass Repair?
- Environmental Factors: High-rise buildings that go far up in the sky can more easily get damaged due to Wind, rain, sun, and temperatures.
- Poor Commercial Glass Window Washing: Dirt if accumulated can create points of added pressure and weigh down the windows and panels. Therefore, it is essential to keep the glass panels and windows clean, not only for this but for aesthetic reasons as well.
- Minor Damage That Spreads: Sometimes, certain situations may cause minor cracks, damage or other issues. It is essential to address them right away to go for building glass repair. It is because if not taken care of immediately, small damage may get worse with time leading to a mishap or bigger damage.
ARS Ltd UK is a home improvement service provider in the UK. They provide services such as On-Site Spray Coating, glass damage repair building, glass repair services, Hard Surface Repair Service and much more to the customer. They have professionals who can help you with all your requirements and issues related to repair and refurbishment services. With vast experience, dedication and flexible timing they believe in delivering the best quality work and finishing projects on time.